Last modified: 2014-03-21 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: weissenburg-gunzenhausen county | gunzenhausen county | barry(red-gold) | demi-eagle | base | vair | harpoon | bend(black) | bendlet(wavy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Yellow-black stripes. Gunzenhausen and Weißenburg counties were united with the city of Weißenburg to form the new county Weißenburg-Gunzenhausen during the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996.
The coat of arms was approved on 8 March 1976. The arms are a combination of elements from the arms of the former counties. The 1st field (above right) is representing former Gunzenhausen county. The base is representing former Weißenburg county. And the 2nd field (above left) is representing the former county free city of Weißenburg. The 1st field - barry of red and gold - displays the arms Counts of Truhendingen, who died out in 1424. The demi-eagle in the 2nd field stands for the former imperial city of Weißenburg, now the seat of the county.The base - vair blue and silver - displays the arms of the Counts of Pappenheim, who owned parts of the territory.
Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996, Stadler 1964, pp.41/95
Santiago Dotor, 5 February 2004
Yellow-black. The county was united with Weißenburg to form the new county Weissenburg-Gunzenhausen during the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.41
Stefan Schwoon, 21 Aug 2001
The coat arms was approved on 8 March 1956. The [administrative] county is made up of two former areas in the County of Brandenburg-Ansbach. The two areas, Gunzenhausen and Hohentrüdingen adopted symbols in 1718/19, which are combined in the new arms. The Gunzenhausen area used a bend with a harpoon or fishing hook (literal translation: fisher's bar), whereas Hohentrüdingen used the arms of the Counts of Truhendingen, who died out in 1424. The latter arms were used in the colours of Brandenburg-Ansbach, but silver and black.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.41
Santiago Dotor, 30 July 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here