Last modified: 2014-03-25 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: oberallgaeu county | sonthofen county | bar(blue) | mountains | leopards(3) | edelweiss |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
White-red stripes. The capital of the county is Sonthofen. The mountains in the coat-of-arms represent the Alpian mountains. Sonthofen was united with Kempten (county) to form the present county Oberallgäu during the 1972 municipal reform. Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996.
The coat of arms was approved on 23 November 1973. The arms are mainly based upon the old arms of the Sonthofen county, in which the edelweiss is replaced by the blue bar. The blue bar is derived from the blue-red division of the arms of the former Kempten county, originally from the arms of the Benedictine Abbey of Kempten.
Sources: Linder and Olzog 1996 and Stadler 1972, p.117
Santiago Dotor, 11 Feb 2004
Green-yellow. Sonthofen was united with Kempten to form the present county Oberallgäu during the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.85
Stefan Schwoon, 29 Aug 2001
The coat of arms was approved on 9 November 1953. The dexter half of the arms shows the typical mountain terrain of the district topped by an edelweiss. The sinister half shows the three lions (leopards) of the Hohenstaufen kin. As Dukes of Swabia the family ruled for many centuries over the district.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.85
Santiago Dotor, 31 July 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here