Last modified: 2011-12-30 by german editorial team
Keywords: lower saxony | niedersachsen | hildesheim | stadt hildesheim | kreis hildesheim | hildesheim county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
The city uses a plain yellow-red bicolour. Hildesheim is one of the oldest cities in Lower Saxony and nowadays the seat of a county. Although destroyed in World War Two, the city has many cultural treasures. Two of its churches, the cathedral and St. Michael's church are part of Unesco's World Cultural Heritage list.
Stefan Schwoon, 23 March 2001
Colours from the base of the arms (quartered yellow and red). From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Hildesheim probably became a city at the end of the 12th or early in the 13th century. (...) [In the] 14th century (...) the arms of the city appear, indicating that the arms date from the end of the 13th century. At the time the arms were quartered of silver [white] and red. The eagle was granted in 1528 by Emperor Charles V. The arms never changed since and are used as such. (...)
Literature: Stadler 1970, p.49.
Santiago Dotor, 8 Mar 2002
Description of flag:
The ratio is given as 1:2. It was a yellow over red horizontal bicolour. The information is confirmed by Stadler 1970, p.49.
Source:H.Ahrens "Hannoversche Landschafts-und Städtewappen", 1891, plate XX
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Nov 2011