This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Eberbach (Germany)

Stadt Eberbach, Rhein-Neckar-Kreis, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2013-06-03 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: eberbach | boar | fess(wavy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Eberbach city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 May 2013 See also:

City of Eberbach

Eberbach City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a blue - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner in August 2004 at the city limits.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 May 2013

Eberbach Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver shield is a black, passant boar. Beneath the boar is a blue fess wavy.
Eberbach was founded in 1227 by German King Heinrich VII and gained the title of an Imperial City already in 1228. After having been pawned several times it became a possession of the Palatine Counts and Electors of Rhine from 1330-1803, since 1806 to Baden. The oldest known seal dates from 1305 and shows the canting boar (Eber) above a river, which had been realized in former versions as a blue, wavy base, which had been later on replaced by a fess wavy, symbolizing a creek and thus making the arms canting, a boar (Eber) above a creek (Bach). In later seals the composition was placed in a shield and has not changed since. The present arms were granted in 1898 and confirmed in 1976 after the addition of several municipalities. According to Stadler the colours are those of the Wittelsbach kin, the later rulers of the Palatinate.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.34 and H.John: "Wappenbuch Rhein-Neckar Kreis", 1996

Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 May 2013

back to Rhein-Neckar cities and municipalities click here