This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Burscheid (Germany)

Stadt Burscheid, Rheinisch-Bergischer Kreis, Northrhine-Westphalia

Last modified: 2012-09-14 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: burscheid | mural crown | linden leaves(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Burscheid flag] 3:5  image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Jul 2010 See also:

Current Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a green over white horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: 3(1) of Hauptsatzung of the city of Burscheid, version 18 February 1998
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Jul 2010

Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver(=white) shield are three green leaves of a linden tree, ordered two above one. The shield is topped by a brick-red(RGB 213/0/0) mural crown with an open(=black) gate.
Meaning:
The first shield showed the arms of the family Bourscheid from Luxemburg, showing three red water-lily leaves in a silver field. By order of Prussian Heroldsamt the leaves were changed into green linden leaves in 1914, because the municipality obviously had nothing to do with the Luxemburg family.
According to source in 1912 the Schlossbauverein of Burg asked the municipality, which had no arms though being a city since 1856, to design a shield as a base for a renewed window in Burg castle. The first draft showed three red hearts in a silver field. This design however was refused by Prussian Heroldsamt in 1913, because there were extreme similarities to the arms of the Bourscheid family in Luxemburg. It was also critized, that the hearts in fact were water-lily leaves (personal remark: which had also been in the coat of arms of former duchy of Westphalia). According to Stadler 1972, p.32 finally by order of Prussian Heroldsamt the hearts were changed into linden leaves in 1914, first red later on green. It is understood that the leaves are from a linden tree. Burscheid is also called the "linden city". The mural crown as an embattled corona had been an ancient symbol of the lords of Berg.
Source: city's webpage
Klaus-Michael Schneider,24 Jul 2010

The coat of arms was approved by Prussian minister of interior on 21 August 1920.


back to Rheinisch-Bergisch cities and municipalities click here