Last modified: 2014-03-18 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: donau-ries | donauwoerth county | noerdlingen county | demi-eagle | saltire | lozengy(white-blue) | chief | panther | cross(lorraine) | coronet | lions(3) | passant | guardant |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Black-yellow stripes. The capital of the county is Donauwörth. Donauwörth County was united during the 1972 municipal reform with Nördlingen County and the (up to then independent) city of Nördlingen to form the present county Donau-Ries. Until 1973 the name of the newly built county had been Nördlingen-Donauwörth.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996.
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
"The arms were granted on 27 April 1977. The arms show in the lower part the cross taken from the arms of Nördlingen and the arms of Bavaria, taken from the arms of Donauwörth. The imperial eagle is added and symbolizes the original Imperial cities of Donauwörth and Nördlingen, who both used an eagle in their arms."
Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996
Santiago Dotor, 11 Feb 2004
Red-yellow-blue. The county was united during the 1972 municipal reform with Nördlingen county and the (up to then independent) city of Nördlingen to form the present county Donau-Ries.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.28
Stefan Schwoon, 22 Aug 2001
The coat of arms was approved on 7 January 1964. A large part of the current county historically was the County of Sualafeld. This County was first ruled by the Counts of Graisbach-Lechsgemünd, who in 1342 were succeeded by the Dukes of Bavaria. The [heraldic] panther is taken from the arms of the Counts of Graisbach-Lechsgemünd, the lozenges are the arms of Bavaria. Cross and coronet are representing two monasteries: the Imperial Abbey of the Holy Cross in Donauwörth and the Cistercian Abbey of Kaisheim.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.28
Santiago Dotor, 30 July 2003
Yellow-red. This county became a part of the present county Donau-Ries during the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.67
Stefan Schwoon, 28 Aug 2001
The coat of arms was approved on 9 February 1954. The saltire is the coat of arms of thePrinces of Oettingen, who were based in the county and ruled most parts of the county until 1806. The three lions are the arms of the (Hohen-)Staufen kin, as Dukes of Swabia they ruled a large part of the county.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.67
Santiago Dotor, 31 July 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here