Last modified: 2011-04-01 by andrew weeks
Keywords: moravska op |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It's an amalgamation of two parts of the city of Ostrava: the northwestern
suburbs of Moravska Ostrava and Privoz - a rare instance of flag and coat of arms
complementing each other. The coat of arms is from the city's
website, The proportions at the top of the flag should be 19:1:4;
the width of the wave 2/24. The flag and coat of arms were adopted 29 Oct 1996.
Source: Mesto Ostrava - Znaky a prapory (Jan Tejkal ed.), REPRONIS, Ostrava, 1997.
Aleš Křižan, 19 Dec 2000
This is the coat of arms of Borough (Mestskě obvod Moravská Ostrava a Prívoz).
It is an integral part of the City of Ostrava. The City Arms were previously
granted for Moravská Ostrava, which was also the origial name of this agglomeration.
Since 1947 the City is called Ostrava. The wavy bar instead grass differs
the coat of arms of the Borough from the coat of arms of the
City. The former Privoz (in German Oderfurt) had its own coat of arms too. It
represented "Railway wheel" and the Boat with oar on the water. That's
probably the reason for the wavy bar. "Privoz" is Czech for "Ferry" - so
it were (Czech) canting Arms.
Aleš Křižan, 10 Jan 2001