This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Hamry (Czech Republic)
Klatovy okres, Plzen region
Last modified: 2012-03-31 by andrew weeks
Keywords: hamry |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
image by Jarig Bakker, 17 Jul 2005
adopted 5 Oct 2004
Hamry municipality flag
Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapori obcí ČR (2004)
- Hamry municipality, Klatovy district, Plzeň region - flag adopted 5 October
The small village Hamry is a well-known leisure centre in the western
part of the Šumava mountains (Bohemian Forest) on the Úhlava river about
8 km south-east of the town Nýrsko, 582 m a.s.l.
The village arose as a blacksmith's settlement near the iron mines.
The first mention is from 1429. The glassworks were founded here in the
first half of the 18th century. Hamry was also a seat of the magistrate's
office in the Middle Ages.
The name Hamry means "iron-mills" and it originates from the time of
the foundation of the original blacksmith's settlement.
The Church of Our Lady of Sorrow above the village arose from the original
chapel in 1773.
The composer P. Stuiber lived and died in Hamry.
Jarig Bakker, 17 Jul 2005
Hamry Coat of Arms
image by Jarig Bakker, 17 Jul 2005, after this