Last modified: 2012-12-16 by rob raeside
Keywords: saskatchewan | canada |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Clay Moss, 22 August 2009
This flag was established by a Royal Proclamation published in Vol. 65, No. 38, The Saskatchewan Gazette of 19 September 1969 (effective 22 September 1969), with the symbolism being defined as follows:
"WHEREAS it is desirable that such a flag have a background of green and gold symbolic of the northern forested areas of the province and of the southern grain field areas, and that the flag should bear the shield of the Armorial Bearings of the Province granted by Royal Warrant in 1906(*) and carry in the fly the provincial floral emblem".
In the attached Schedule the flag is described thus:
"A flag of rectangular shape of the proportions two by length and one by width consisting of two horizontal bars, the upper green, the lower yellow (gold) with the armorial bearings of the province occupying in height 7/10ths of the upper quarter next to the staff and the provincial emblem , the prairie lily, occupying in height 6/10ths of the half farthest from the staff..."
The flag was last confirmed by an Act respecting Provincial Emblems and Honours dated 29 June 1988 (being Chapter P-30.2 of the Statutes of Saskatchewan. 1988-89, as amended by the Statutes of Saskatchewan, 1995, c29; and 1997, c17), where it is described in Part II, Article 5 as:
"A flag in the rectangular shape consisting of two horizontal bars, the upper green, the lower yellow (gold), with the shield of arms of Saskatchewan occupying the upper quarter next to the staff and the floral emblem, the eastern red lily, occupying the half farthest from the staff".
The colours were defined by the 1969 Act as "Canadian Government Standard Specification Board standard colour - Green 203-101, Yellow 205-101, Blue 502-204, Rod (flower) 509-101, Red (lion) 509-314." However, on 22 September 1998 the Protocol Office of Saskatchewan sent a drawing which showed the following Pantone colours: "green 349, yellow 109, red 186 (the same shade being used for the flower and the lion) and blue 286".
There are two main differences between the illustration supplied in 1998, and that in the Schedule of 1969. In the first place, the shield of 1998 shows a white fimbriation which is missing from the Schedule, and the height of the flower has increased from 60% of flag width (as defined by the Act) to 80%.
(*) The shield was given by Warrant of H.M. King Edward VII dated 35 August
1906 (Gazetted 13 October 1906) and augmented of crest, supporters and motto
by a Royal Warrant of Her Majesty signed by the Governor General on 16
September 1986 (Gazetted 4 October 1986).
Christopher Southworth, 26 January 2005
image located by Valentin Poposki, 1 June 2012
From the Lt. Governor of Saskatchewan web site:
The Lieutenant Governor, as representative of the Queen, receives the marks of respect reserved for Heads of State. At official ceremonies such as the Opening of the Legislature, the Lieutenant Governor is entitled to a 100-person military guard of honour, a 15-gun artillery salute, and a musical royal salute (the vice-regal salute).
The Lieutenant Governor has a personal flag called the vice-regal standard, flown on his car and on the provincial landau (used on major ceremonial occasions). It may also be flown on a building where the Lieutenant Governor is present. It consists of the provincial shield of arms surmounted by the Crown and surrounded by a wreath of ten maple leaves, on a royal blue background. The vice regal standard is not used within a building for any occasion.
Coat of Arms
A Coat of Arms is granted to the Lieutenant Governor by the Canadian Crown as a permanent mark of identity in honour of service to the Crown. The individual Coat of Arms is created by the Canadian Heraldic Authority at Rideau Hall featuring the prominent areas of interest as advised by the Lieutenant Governor.
researched by Jarig Bakker, 14 December 1999