This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Saint-Camille-de-Lellis, Quebec (Canada)

Municipalité de Saint-Camille-de-Lellis

Last modified: 2013-10-14 by rob raeside
Keywords: saint-camille-de-lellis | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Saint-Camille-de-Lellis] image by Ivan Sache, 15 September 2013

See also:

Description of the flag

The municipality of Saint-Camille-de-Lellis (904 inhabitants in 2006; 25,208 ha) is located in Les Etchemins Regional County Municipality, Region Chaudière-Appalaches.

Saint-Camille was settled in 1885. The early colonists required in 1896 the erection of a new parish, which was accepted but implemented only in 1898; every colonist claimed to have the new church built in his own yard, therefore the religious authorities decided to build the sanctuary farther in the woods. The parish was canonically erected in 1903, while the municipality of Saint-Camille-de-Lellis was established the next year (1904). Most of the original village, including the church, was destroyed in 1925 by a blaze that broke out in a warehouse. The new church was consecrated in 1928. - Municipal website

The municipality is named for St. Camillus de Lellis (1550-1614; canonized in 1746 by Pope Benedict XIV), an Italian priest who founded the Order of Clerks Regular, Ministers to the Sick (M.I., Camillians), formally recognized as a Congregation in 1586 by Pope Sixtus V, and as an Order in 1591 by Pope Gregory XV. - Catholic Encyclopaedia

The flag of Saint-Camille-de-Lellis is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. - Photo, "La Voix du Sud", 18 July 2011

The coat of arms of Saint-Camille-de-Lellis was designed in 1989. The red escutcheon charged with a yellow cross is a symbol of Christian faith. As a component of the coat of arms of the municipality of Sainte-Justine, it recalls that the contribution of the colonists from Sainte-Justine to the erection of the parish of Saint-Camille. The five white fleurs-de-lis placed on a blue chevron represent the five neighbouring parishes. The moose and the trout represent hunting and fishing, respectively, two popular sports in the area. The crops and the mountains represent the geographical location of Saint-Camille, in Lower Bellechasse. The maple leaves represent our country. The conifers represent lumber industry. - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 15 September 2013