Last modified: 2012-08-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: alberta | bruderheim | railroad tracks: 3 | handshake | wheat sheaf | oil derrick | bretheren |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image contributed by Darrell Neuman, 7 May 2006
Bruderheim, Alberta (population: 1,200)
is located northeast of the City of Edmonton.
The flag features an oil derrick, three converging railroad tracks,
wheat and a handshake along with the words: 'Bruderheim, Alberta Home
of the Brethren'"
Darrell Neuman, 4 May 2006
The slogan "Home of the Brethren" is not just a pun on the city's name: it was founded by members of the Moravian Church, commonly called the Moravian Brethren, quoting connect.ab.ca:
The Bruderheim community was started as a Moravian settlement by German speaking emigrants from Volhynia, Russia, in 1894. The Moravian congregation was officially organized under lay-leadership by Andreas Lilge on May 6th, 1895. In February 1896, the first pastor, the Rev. Clement Hoyler, arrived. By the end of the year the congregation had already built a solid log church.
(Volhynia is now part of Ukraine)
Dean McGee, 8 May 2006