Last modified: 2013-01-01 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | capivari |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Valentin Poposki, 15
A heraldic description of the Flag of Capivari:
a) At top and bottom, two dark green bands, of equal width, like those surrounding the City in center, representing our main economic wealth, " Sugar cane of Açúcar", wealth which for many years has supported the economy of the City.
b) Inside these bands, two white bands of equal width to the green ones represent the brightness of the city that is noticed by all visitors who arrive in port here; caused by the "white sands" that reflect the solar rays with greater intensity, forming an almost extreme brightness. The white also represents peace in the City, that really is very calm in its life and work.
c) In the center, a sky blue band extending across the flag and under the arms, of lesser width represents the legendary River Capivari, and complements the arms, since it gives the name to the city, and in it rests the history of the community, since its foundation.
d) In the center of the flag the arms of Capivari designed by Affonso de Taunay represent the City itself.
Located by Valentin Poposki, 15 February 2006The municipality of Capivari (48,576 inhabitants in 2010; 32,271 ha) is located 50 km of Campinas and 110 km of São Paulo.
Capivari originates in camps established around 1715 on the bank of
river Capivari by gold scavengers heading to Cuiabá. Due to its
difficult access, the place was subsequently used by the colonial
governors to exile people who did not enjoy the Portuguese rule.
In 1785, Francisco Idorgo, from the Council of Itu, established a
first shop, known as Chico's shop on the banks of the river, starting
the urbanization of the place. In 1795, Father João Ferreira de
Oliveira Bueno founded the São João Batista de Capivari estate, today
the Itapeva estate located in the neighbouring municipality of Rafard.
Around 1820, the villagers built neat Chico's shop the São João
Batista de Capivary chapel, subsequently transformed in the today's
main church of Capivari. The Council of Itu designed a settlement plan
for Capivari on 4 July 1821 to prevent the anarchic urbanization that
had occurred in Itu and Porto Feliz. A bridge was built over river
Capivari to link the two parts of the town, eventually replaced by a
concrete bridge in 1956..
The municipality of São João Baptista do Capivari de Baixo was
established on 10 July 1832 and inaugurated on 25 July 1833.
http://www.capivari.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
Photo of the flag:
The coat of arms of Capivari was designed by Afonso d'Escragnolle
Taunay*. The original copy of the arms was painted by J. Wash
Rodrigues in 1932.
The coat of arms is tierced per pale, 1. Argent, in chief a Paschal
lamb, recalling the patron saint of the municipality, St. John the
Baptist, in base the arms of the Botelho family, charged with the
thunderbolt argent of the Dias family and the merlette of the Lemes
family, the whole recalling the three founding families; 2. Gules, in
chief a pioneer's jacket, the main charge of the arms of Itu,
recalling that the founders of Capivari came from Itu, in base a
castle argent from the arms of the Toledo family and a fleur-de-lis
azure from the arms of the Pires family, recalling two other founders,
Toledo Piza and Pires de Almeida Moura; 3. Argent, in chief a Liberty
Cap gules recalling the participation of a big delegation from
Capivari to the Itu Convention held in 1873 to support the Republican
ideal. in base the arms of the Barros family, charged with a crescent,
from the arms of the Amarias family, recalling other founders of the
municipality. All over a fess wavy argent and azure charged with three
capybara's heads, recalling that Capivari means in Tupi-Guarani
"Capybaras' River" (the Tupi-Guarani name, lit. "the Lord of the
Grasses", is the origin of the word "capybara" via Brazilian
The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee fructed and dexter
by a sugarcane, symbolizing the two main crops of the municipality.
Below the plants, fern fronds recalling the early name of the place.
Below the shield a scroll argent inscribed with the motto "PAULISTA
PER MERCÉ DE DEUS" (Paulista by God's Mercy), coined by Diogo Antonio
http://www.capivari.sp.gov.br/acidade/brasao.php - Municipal website
*Afonso d'Escragnolle Taunay (1876-1958) was a genealogist,
lexicographer and historian, noted for his studies on the São Paulo
pioneers ("História geral das bandeiras paulistas", 11 volumes,
1924-1950) and coffee cultivation in Brazil ("História do café no
Brasil", 11 volumes, 1929-1941). He was elected in 1929 at the
Brazilian Academy of Letters.
Ivan Sache, 31 December 2012