Last modified: 2013-02-24 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | são roque |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
7 February 2013
Based on: http://www.saoroque.sp.gov.br/simbolos.asp
A white flag with a black-white-red saltire with the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 7 February 2013
São Roque was founded in 16 August 1657 by Captain Pedro Vaz de Barros, aka Vaz Guaçu, the Great. The captain named the town for the saint he most venerated, St. Roch. In 1681, Fernão Paes de Barros, a brother of the founder, erected the Great House and a chapel dedicated to St. Anthony.. The town became a popular stopping place among the pioneers that sailed on river Tietê in search of gold and emeralds. Italian and Portuguese immigrants subsequently covered the hills of São Roque with vineyards, making of the town "The Land of Wine". The municiplaity of São Roch was established in 1864.
The flag of São Roque* is white with a red-white-black saltire. In the middle of the flag, the municipal coat of arms is superimposed to the saltire - without any white rectangle, lozenge or disk inscribing it.
http://www.saoroque.sp.gov.br/simbolos.asp - Municipal website
*The municipal website erroneously claims that the flag prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,147 of 30 June 1977. This Law prescribes only the municipal coat of arms (see below).
Photos of the flag
http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?gl=SN&hl=fr&v=fIJTf1W7TLE http://comunidadedosvereadores.blogspot.fr/2010/08/legislativo-de-sao-roque-camara.html http://fusaoperfeita.wordpress.com/2010/05/17/bomaluno
The coat of arms of São Roque is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,147 of 30 June 1977, amending Municipal Law No. 133 of 23 September 1954. "Portuguese, rounded-off shield, divided per fess the first field tierced per pale, surmounted by a mural crown representing a municipality. 1a. Gules the heraldic attributes of the arms of the founders of the town, that is, Gules a castle argent ensigned with three stars [in base] two fesses wavy argent on a field blue, 1b. Argent a St. Roch, the town's patron saint, proper, 1c. Gules four rows of three stars or, 2. Argent the heraldic attributes of Pedro Vaz and Fernão Paes de Barros, the founders of São Roque, argent a house and the church of the St. Anthony Estate, evoking the founding of the town, a base azure three fesses wavy argent representing river Carambeí, the main watercourse in the municipality. The shield supported dexter by an armed pioneer wearing a jacket and sinister by an Indian holding a spear, symbolizing the domains of the Barros brothers. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the Latin motto 'MEA PAULISTA GENS' in letters or. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent representing a municiplaity.
Ivan Sache, 11 February 2013