Last modified: 2013-05-29 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | martinópolis |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
16 May 2013
Source: Símbolos Municipais Brasileiros blog: http://simbolosmunicipais.blogspot.fr/2012/01/sao-paulo-ii.html
Martinópolis originates in the establishment of the village of José
Teodoro, set up in 1924 by João Gomes Martins (1877-1937) near the
station of José Teodoro, itself inaugurated on 5 August 1917 by
"Estrada de Ferro Sorocabana". The station was named for the pioneer
José Teodoro de Souza (d. 1875). The district of José Teodoro was
established by Law No. 2,492 of 20 December 1929.
The municipality of Martinópolis was established by Decree No. 9,775
of 30 November 1938.
http://www.martinopolis.sp.gov.br - municipal website
The symbols of Martinópolis are prescribed in Article 3 of the
Municipal Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990, as "the flag, the
coat of arms and the anthem, established by Municipal Law".
http://www.camaramartinopolis.sp.gov.br/index2.php? - Municipal Constitution
The flag is blue with a yellow sailboat and a white isosceles triangle placed along the hoist and charged with the municipal coat of arms. The flag is in proportions 14 units x 20 units. The sailboat is 8 units in height. The triangle is 8.5 units in width. The coat of arms is 5 units in height.
Accordingly, the photo placed near the description does not show the full flag.
http://www.camaramartinopolis.sp.gov.br/index2.php?pag=T1RjPU9EZz1PVFU9T0dVPU9H\ ST1PVEE9T0dFPU9HRT0=&idmenu=220 > - Municipal Council website
The coat of arms, designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, is "A rounded-off shield, azure a sailboat or surrounded in chief by two stars of the same the base wavy argent and azure. The shield surmounted by an eight- towered mural crown argent ports gules. The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee and sinister by a plant of cotton, the two leaved and fructed proper. Below the shield a scroll azure inscribed with the name of the municipality in letters or".
In his book "Martinópolis, sua história e sua gente", the historian
José Carlos Daltozo explains the coat of arms as follows.
The rounded-off, or Iberic shield, used in Portugal at the time of the
discovery of Brazil, is a tribute to the first colonizers and builders
of the country.
Azure (blue) is a symbol of justice, beauty, sweetness, nobleness,
vigilance, serenity, constancy, incorruptible firmness, dignity, zeal,
loyalty and recreation. These are attributes of the inhabitants and
administrators of the municipality, as well as of the municipality
itself, oriented to recreation and tourism.
The sailboat indicates a strong mind, resisting to adversity and
allowing passage on river waters. This is also the symbol used by the
municipality for tourism promotion.
The stars represent aspiration to highness, a bright future, a safe
guidance and light through the night.
Or is a symbol of wealth, splendor, glory, nobleness, power, force,
faith, prosperity, sovereignty and rule.
The base of the shield represents the water resources of the
municipality, as well as the water enjoyed by the inhabitants and the
visitors for leisure.
Argent is a symbol of felicity, purity, candor, leisure, truth,
frankness, friendship and integrity.
The mural crown is a symbol of political emancipation. The open ports
are a symbol of hospitality. Gules (red) is a symbol of Law and
Justice, recalling that Martinópolis is the capital of a
"comarca" (canton) and recalling the dictum "Through these ports you
will meet Justice".
The branches of coffee and cotton recall the fertility of the the soil.
http://www.camaramartinopolis.sp.gov.br/index2.php? - Municipal Council website
Ivan Sache, 16 May 2013