Last modified: 2013-05-29 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | manduri |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Manduri was founded in 1905 close to the railway station of the same
name, established by "Estrada de Ferro Sorocabana" on a plot offered
by José Elias Bonifácio. The district of Manduri was established by
Law No. 1,115 of 26 November 1907.
The municipality of Manduri was established by State Law-Decree No.
14,334 of 30 November 1944 and inaugurated on 1 January 1945.
http://www.camaramanduri.sp.gov.br - Website of the Municipal Council
The symbols of Manduri are prescribed in Article 2 of the Municipal
Constitution, last amended on 11 December 2012, as "the coat of arms,
the flag and the anthem, representative of its culture and history".
http://www.camaramanduri.sp.gov.br/index2.php? - Municipal Constitution
The flag is white with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 66 of 20 March 1958. The coat of arms is "Argent a bull sable a chief vert two bees or. The shield surmounted by a mural crown port sable. The shield supported by two branches of coffee fructed proper. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the municipality's name surrounded by the years '1907' and '1944' all or".
Green represents the wide fields. Manduri is nicknamed the Green
The Manduri bees*, common in the region, recall the early days of the
municipality; they are also a symbol of wisdom, order and labour.
Argent is a symbol of purity and faith.
The bull is a symbol of cattle breeding, strength and willingness.
The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation.
The branches of coffee represent the main crop in the municipality.
The years "1907" and "1944" are those of the establishment of the
district and of the municipality, respectively.
http://www.camaramanduri.sp.gov.br/index2.php? - Website of the municipal Council
*The Manduri bee, Melipona marginata Lepeletier, is a South American
stingless bee, of 7 mm in average size, living in colonies counting up
to 300 members.
Ivan Sache, 14 May 2013