This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mairiporã, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-06-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | mairiporã |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Mairiporã, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 13 May 2013
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Mairiporã (80,920 inhabitants in 2010; 32,148 ha) is located in the São Paulo Metropolitan Area, 40 km of São Paulo.

Mairiporã was founded in the late 16th century - early 17th century by Antonio de Souza del Mundo, who erected a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Exile. The town that developed nearby was named Senhora do Desterro de Juqueri; in Tupi-Guarani, "juqueri" designates the touch-me-not (Mimosa pudica L.). In the 18th century, Juqueri supplied São Paulo with fresh field crops, while cotton and grapes were exported. In 1769, the São Paulo Chamber decided to build a road between Juqueri and São Paulo, subsequently known as the Bragança Old Road. The district of Juqueri was established in 1874, as part of the municipality of São Paulo, and transferred in 1881 to the municipality of Nossa Senhora da Conceição de Guarulhos.

The municipality of Juqueri was established by Provincial Law No. 67 of 27 March 1889. Inaugurated in 1898, the Juqueri colony-hospital for lunatics prompted a movement for the change of the name of the municipality. The name of the municipality was changed to Mairiporã by Law no. 233 of 24 December 1948. The new name, coined by the journalist and poet Araújo Jorge, comes from two Tupi-Guarani words, "mairi", "a town", and "porã", "good". In the 1950s, the "Companhia Cinematográfica Multi Filmes", led by the movie maker Mário Civelli (1923-1993), set up in Mairiporã; the first colour movie in Brazil was shot there.

The symbols of Mairiporã are prescribed in Article 2 of the Municipal Constitution as "the flag, the coat of arms and the anthem". - Municipal Constitution

The flag of Mairiporã is blue with a red horizontal stripe in the middle, itself charged with a thinner yellow horizontal stripe. Along the hoist is placed a white vertical stripe charged with the municipal coat of arms.

A photo labelled "official flag" shows the flag with the vertical and horizontal stripes of equal width:ã-SP.jpg (official flag)

The local judo club "Academia Judô Pissarra " proudly flies on competition's podium two variants of the "official flag".

The first variant has a wider white stripe and a thinner yellow stripe: 
Ivan Sache, 13 May 2013

Variant Flag

Mairiporã, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 13 May 2013

The second variant has an even wider white stripe, the red stripe wider than the blue ones, and the yellow stripe wider than on the other versions of the flag: 
Ivan Sache, 13 May 2013