This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Fernão, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-11-04 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | fernão |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Fernão, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 29 October 2012

See also:

About the Flag

A blue flag, with a white triangle extending from the hoist almost to the fly, and bearing a tapering red chevron on its side and the municipal arms in the resulting inner white triangle.

Official website at 
Dirk Schönberger, 29 October 2012

The municipality of Fernão (1,563 inhabitants in 2010; 10,030 ha) is located in the central western part of São Paulo State. The district of Fernão Dias was established on 15 December 1928 by Law 3,211, as part of the municipality of Gália. The village was named for the pioneer Fernão Dias Paes Leme. The name was indeed coined for the local railway station inaugurated the same year by the Companhia Paulista de Estradas de Ferro; the company named the stations according to the alphabetic order, Fernão Dias being located between Esmeralda and Gália. The name of the district was shortened to Fernão on 30 November 1944 by State Decree-Law No. 14,334. The municipality of Fernão was established on 27 December 1995 by State Law No. 9,330, and inaugurated on 1 January 1997.

The symbols of Fernão are prescribed by Municipal Law no. 85 of 8 October 1998.

The flag and its use are prescribed in Articles 14-24 of the Law. The flag, designed by the heraldist and vexillologist Laudo Ribeiro Escobar, is blue with three white, red and white superimposed triangles and the municipal coat of arms placed near the hoist. The flag is in size 14 units x 20 units. The length of the white, red and white triangle triangle is 18, 16, and 14 units, respectively. The length of the coat of arms is 8 units.

The superimposed triangles form arrow heads, symbolizing the aspiration of the municipality to a future made of progress and prosperity. The symbolism of the colours is the same as for the coat of arms [see below], white on the flag matching argent on the arms.

The inauguration of each new copy of the flag shall follow a specific procedure. The flag shall be blessed and then hoisted when playing the municipal anthem. Afterwards, all the attendants shall take the oath: "I swear to honour, love and defend the symbols of Fernão and to fight for the growth of the municipality with loyalty and perseverance".

The flag shown on the municipal website, seemingly as a photo [and used by Dirk for his image] does not match the official specifications.

The coat of arms and its use are prescribed in Articles 9-12 of the Law. The coat of arms, designed by the heraldist and vexillologist Laudo Ribeiro Escobar, is: "Iberic shield agent charged with a chevron azure surrounded in chief with two fleurs-de-lis of the same and in base with a Greek cross flory gules voided throughout. The shield surmounted by a mural crown agent of eight towers port and windows sable. The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee and sinister by a branch of orange tree, the two leaved and fructed proper. Below the shield rails proper and a scroll gules inscribed with the toponym 'FERNÃO' argent."

The Iberic shield, used in Portugal at the time of the discovery of Brazil, evokes the first colonists of the country. Argent means in heraldry happiness, friendship, integrity, purity, temperance, truth, frankness and beauty, characteristic of the administrators of the municipality, as well as the resulting atmosphere of harmony and understanding. The chevron comes from the arms of the Cavalcanti family, recalling Captain Manoel Salustiano Cavalcanti, who founded a first settlement on the today's site of Fernão. The chevron is a charge of first order, representing the roof of the castles as well as higher feelings. The fleurs-de-lis, the attributes of the Blessed Virgin, evoke the patron saint of the municipality, Our Lady of the Apparition, as well as the religious feelings of the inhabitants of Fernão. Azure (blue) represents justice, beauty, sweetness, nobleness, perseverance, zeal, loyalty, incorruptible firmness, glory and virtue, characteristic of the inhabitants of the municipality, who build and increase the town through their endless work. The Greek cross (with equal arms) flory (with the arms ending in volutes) voided throughout (with the inner part voided and showing the field), comes from the arms of the Porto family, recalling Coronel Eduardo de Souza Porto, who acquired in 1895 lands in the "unknown hinterland" and settled them in 1987; facing the hostility of raw nature, he planted coffee, built roads and helped the engineers of the Companhia Paulista de Estradas de Ferro railways. The cross is also the highest symbol of faith and reflects the feelings of the early colonizers of the region. Gules (red) represents audacity, valor, bravery, intrepidity, magnanimity, nobleness, triumph and honour, referring to the early pioneers. The mural crown is the symbol of municipalities. The open gates sable (black) emphasizes the hospitality of the inhabitants of Fernão. The coffee branch represents the first crop, the cause of the early human settlements and a main source of income. The branch of orange tree represents a new crop, the two plants highlighting the agricultural potential of the municipality. The rails are definitive symbols of progress, brought by the Companhia Paulista.
Ivan Sache, 1 November 2012