This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Colômbia, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-04-06 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | colômbia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Colômbia, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 24 March 2013
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Colômbia (5,994 inhabitants in 2010; 72,925 ha) is located in the northern São Paulo State, on the border with Minas Gerais, here Rio Grande, 480 km of São Paulo.

Colômbia was founded by Alice da Mata Fontoura (1884-1963), who established a new settlement named Porto Cemitério. This odd name (Cemetery Port) was coined because of the bloody riots that often broke out in the busy village. The village developed after the inauguration of the end-point railway station of "Companhia Paulista de Estradas de Ferro". The district of Colômbia was established by State Decree-Law No. 14,334 of 30 November 1944, as part of the municipality of Barretos, superseding the extinct district of Laranjeiras. The municipality of Colômbia was established by Law No. 5,285 of 18 February 1959 and inaugurated on 1 January 1960. - Website of the Municipal Council

The symbols of Colômbia were designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar. The flag is red with a blue saltire bordered in yellow. In the middle of the saltire is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms. - Website of the Municipal Council

Photos of the flag:

Ivan Sache, 24 March 2013