Last modified: 2013-03-21 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | ariranha |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 14 March 2013
Ariranha emerged around the Três Marias Inn, founded in 1892 by Januário D Antônio on the right bank of river Ariranha
(lit., Giant otter, Pteronura brasiliensis Gemlin, a carnivorous mammal once
common in the river) . The founder named the village São João de
Ariranha, expecting St. John to protect the coffee groves from June
frost events. The district of Ariranha was established in 1907.
The municipality of Ariranha was established on 10 April 1919.
http://www.ariranha.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The flag of Ariranha is presented on Wikimedia Commons as green with a red off-centred cross outlined in yellow. Over the intersection of the cross' arms is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The image was contributed on 14 October 2012 by "Prefeitura
Municipal", quoting the official municipal website as the source. No
other source for the flag was found.
Several municipal flags have been recently uploaded with the same
credit, although, in most cases, the matching municipal website does
not show the flag. However, photos of the flags, when available,
indicate that the accuracy of these submissions is quite high (except
the 2:3 proportions that do not match the common use of 14:20
Ivan Sache, 14 March 2013