This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cruzeiro do Sul, Paraná (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | cruzeiro do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Cruzeiro do Sul, PR (Brazil)] image by Dirk Schönberger, 17 July 2011
See also:

About the Flag

Horizontally striped, upper two-fifths blue, the lower three-fifths seven green and white stripes, gradually widening downwards, with the municipal arms centred on a white disk.

Official website is at
Dirk Schönberger, 17 July 2011

The municipality of Cruzeiro do Sul (4,563 inhabitants in 2010; 259 sq. km) is located in northwestern Paraná, some 500 km of Curitiba. Cruzeiro do Sul was founded in 1950 by the "Companhia Melhoramento Norte do Paraná" (Company for the Improvement of North Paraná). It was made a district, part of the municipality of Nova Esperança, by State Law No. 29 of 5 May 1952, and a municipality by State Law No. 2,548 of 26 December 1955. The municipality was inaugurated on 14 December 1956.

The upper part of the flag, blue, symbolizes justice, beauty, nobleness, dignity, zeal and loyalty, the characteristics of the administrators and inhabitants of the municipality who work hard to increase its fame. The green stripes in the lower part of the flag represent the fertility of the soil, the exuberance of the vegetation and the hope of the inhabitants. The green stripes increase in height from the top to the bottom of the flag, representing the depth of the horizon and contributing to the harmony of the flag. The white stripes in the lower part of the flag represent peace, purity, religious feeling and commitment to order and work of the inhabitants. The coat of arms is placed inside a disk, a symbol of eternity, representing the seat of the municipality. - Municipal website

The coat of arms is of classical Flemish-Iberic of Portuguese shape, used in Portugal at the time of the discovery of Brazil and inherited by the Brazilian heraldry from the early colonists of the country.

The central, triangular part of the shield is blue with the five visible stars from the 54 that form the Southern Cross ("Cruzeiro do Sul"), the namesake of the municipality. The upper part of the shield is white, dexter an armoured arm holding a torch, heraldically symbolizing firmness and the eagerness to win. [Sinister are three trees, not described in the source] The lower part of the shield is green with two white wavy stripes symbolizing the two main rivers of the region, rivers Pirapó and São Francisco. Beneath the rivers is a hunting horn, representing cattle-breeding, one of the sources of income of the municipality.

The shield is surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent, with open doors symbolizing the hospitality of the inhabitants. Argent means friendship, work, prosperity, truth, loyalty, nobleness and integrity. The shield is supported dexter by a branch of coffee an sinister by a branch of cotton, the two fructed proper, representing the products of the fertile soil that represent the base of the municipal economy. The scroll is of the same blue shade as the sky on the coat of arms. The name of the municipality is surrounded by the years of its establishment as a district and of upgrade to a municipality. - Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 14 February 2012