Last modified: 2012-02-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: ceará | são gonçalo do amarante |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 12 March 2010
Based on http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A3o_Gon%C3%A7alo_do_Amarante_%28Cear%C3%A1%29
Divided per bend sinister, with seven gold stars scattered on the flag.
Official website at http://pmsga.com.br;
the flag is shown on Wikipedia at
Dirk Schönberger, 12 March 2010
The municipality of São Gonçalo do Amarante (43,947 inhabitants in 2010; 834
sq. km) is located on coastal Ceará, 60 km of Fortaleza.
São Gonçalo do Amarante was settled around 1680, when the first colonial settlements appeared in São Gonçalo and Siupé. From 1943 to 1951, the municipality was renamed Anacetaba, as a tribute to the Anaces natives, the first inhabitants of the area. The name of São Gonçalo do Amarante was eventually established by Municipal Law No. 1,153 of 22 November 1951. Once a rural municipality, São Gonçalo do Amarante has developed tourism in the Pecém, Taíba and Colônia beaches and the Prejubaca laguna, and industry in the business park and port of Pecém.
The municipality is named for its patron saint, Gonzalo de Amarante (1187-1259; blessed in 1560 by Pope Pius IV), a Portuguese Dominican friar who lived as an hermit. Gonzalo de Amarante is the patron saint of several Brazilian towns, which honor in a festival called Gonzalo's Dance ("Baile de São Gonçalo", "Roda de São Gonçalo"); this festival appeared in Brazil in the early 18th century while it had been known in Portugal since the 13th century.
The flag of São Gonçalo do Amarante is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 146 of 15 July 1975, as follows.
"Symbolism: Blue for the sky; Green for the sea; Yellow for the sun; White for peace.
The districts are symbolized by a star placed on the flag according to their respective geographic location. The seat of the municipality is represented by the seven stars together.
Colors: The rectangular flag is formed by two right-angle triangles of the following colors: Blue in the upper left part; Green in the lower right part; White, as a a parallelogram separating the two triangles; Yellow, on seven stars representing the seven districts.
Meaning of the stars: In the blue triangle, the lower star represents Serrote while the upper star represents Cágado. In the white parallelogram, the lower star represents Croatá, the middle star represents Siupé and the upper star represents Taíba. In the green triangle, the lower star represents Umarituba and the upper star represents Pecém."
http://www.pmsga.com.br/municipio/bandeira.asp - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 15 January 2012