This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Maritime Houseflags C (Australia)

Australia

Last modified: 2016-01-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: shipping: australia | captain cook cruises | china australia steamship company | w crosby | crosby | csr | cross (blue) | stars: 5 (blue) | cross (blue | fimbriated white) | flagship | diamond (white) | f: italic (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:


Peter Callen & Sons Ltd.

[Peter Callen & Sons Ltd. houseflag and funnel] image by Ivan Sache, 11 December 2015

Peter Callen & Sons Ltd. Shipbuilders and shipowners etc at Stockton around the beginning of the 20th Century flying a vertical biband of white and red with the letters "PC&S" counterchanged from The Log 2/1993.
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010

The Callen brothers were major players in the growth of Stockton. They owned one of the biggest shipyards, which built a wide range of vessels like tugs, lighters and ferries, as well as constructing sea walls, wharves and bridges. They provided lighterage services for the harbour, and also disposed of Mayfieldís nightsoil by towing it out to sea on barges, and they had their own big timber yard, steam sawmill, joinery and slipway. In 1895 the partnership between the Callen brothers split up and Peter Callen went out on his own with his son. (Jean Purtell gives this date as 1890). After he had built the wharf for the newly-opened  colliery he set up a new slipway near the present-day 16-footer club while the other brothers set up another shipyard and slip at North Stockton, opposite the Seamensí Mission near what is now The Boatrowers Hotel. Peter Callen & Sons Ltd retained the
ownership of the cargo punt.
[...]
Things chugged along pretty uneventfully for another ten years, but come the turn of the new century Peter Callen found that the demands of the cargo punt service were making things difficult for him in his major enterprise, which was shipbuilding, and in 1901 he took steps to convert the cargo punt service into a limited liability company. Around the same time the Newcastle Council came to the conclusion that the punt should be run by the State Government, and soon Peter Callen was assailed by a series of complaints about his service. Chief among these dissatisfactions was the fare being charged to use the punt.
[...]
The Council couldnít seem to get its act together to build a new bit of infrastructure (surprise, surprise!) and Peter Callen felt
increasingly unappreciated and truculent. Things continued on this mutually sour and surly note for the best part of another decade, and it took until 1916 before the powers that be had finally managed to get their arse into gear. In March of that year
Callen Bros were relieved of the thankless task of carrying the public and its goods across the harbour, and a brand spanking new, purpose-built, steam-powered vehicular ferry built by the Public Works Department at Walsh Island took over the
service. It was called the Mildred.
http://www.billbottomley.com.au/car_punts/ch1.pdf - "The Car Punts of Newcastle" by Bill Bottomley, Chapter 1. The Early Years
Ivan Sache, 11 December 2015


Captain Cook Cruises.

[Captain Cook Cruises houseflag and funnel] image by Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010

Not to be confused with the Captain Cook Cruises Pty. Ltd., Captain Cook Cruises operating as a trade name out of Perth from 1980 changing owners in 1987 and with The Log 5/1989 showing a blue flag with a navy blue border and stylized "CC" logo. Because the original source is a B&W hatching and apart from the navy blue shade being mentioned in the description, the other colours are unclear. The field is a lighter shade of blue obviously but the letters appear to be shaded, but the shade colour is unclear. I have assumed white. This operation also went under the name of  "Captain Cook Scenic Tours" which was shown on the funnel and "Captain Cook Scenic Cruises" recorded on the bow of their then vessel "Captain Cook". Their current fleet does not include any old fashioned funnels and a very small image of a bow jack looks to be more like a pennant with a white border so there would appear to have been a subsequent change.
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010


Captain Cook Cruises Pty. Ltd.

[Captain Cook Cruises Pty. Ltd.houseflag] image by Jorge Candeias

Originated 1970 as Haworth Investments Pty. Ltd. being run by Captain Trevor Haworth, changing name to Captain Cook Cruises Pty. Ltd. in the early 1980s. The original flag was red with the white legend 'CAPTAIN COOK CRUISES", each word under the other. I do not have a date for the replacement flag shown here but it was shown in The Log of 11/1990.
Neale Rosanoski, 22 Feb 2004


Carnarvon Cruises

[Carnarvon Cruises houseflag and funnel] image by Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010

Carnarvon Cruises. Operated between Port Arthur and Hobart in the mid 1980s with The Log of 11/1995 showing a white pennant with a blue horizontal band bearing a white circle charged with the red lion of Tasmania and being between two yellow "C"s.
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010


W. & R. Carpenter & Co. Ltd.

[W. & R. Carpenter & Co. Ltd. houseflag and funnel] image by Ivan Sache, 11 December 2015

W. & R. Carpenter & Co. Ltd. Formed in 1914 and trading out of Sydney it grew into quite a sizeable group extending to Fiji, New Guinea and the Solomon Islands and post WW2 seems to have operated principally through the Fijian-based Pacific Shipowners Ltd. The Carpenter family relinquished their interest in the Group in 1983 and the following year it became part of the Malaysian conglomerate of Bf Holdings Group. Three flag versions have been found with the main one being
blue with a white Star of David enclosing a white "C" which is supported by US Navy 1961 and The Log 8/1989.

[W. & R. Carpenter & Co. Ltd. houseflag and funnel] [W. & R. Carpenter & Co. Ltd. houseflag and funnel] images by Ivan Sache, 11 December 2015

A slightly different version is shown by Brown 1951 in which the upper and lower points of the star do not extend whilst Brown 1943 only shows a blue flag with a white "C" which seems odd when the complete star emblem appears on its portrayal of the funnel albeit with the upper point not extending.
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010


Cement Australia

[Cement Australia houseflag and funnel] image by Neale Rosanoski, 16 Nov 2008

Australian Cement Holdings, in which CSR held 50%, later became merged as Cement Australia. Cement Australia's flag was white with the name in purple below a couple of "swooshes" [as they have been described] in purple and gold. The bottom of the gold line is a slight arc as is the top of the "CEMENT" lettering. I hold a photo of the ship in which the flag can just be made out though very obscured with a poor flutter.
Neale Rosanoski, 16 November 2008


China - Australia Steamship Company

[China-Australia Steamship Company flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 17 Jan 2005

China - Australia Steamship Company, Limited, Sydney, N.S.W. Horizontal triband Red White Red; on the white band six [blue] 5-pointed stars.
Source: Brown's Flags and Funnels of British and Foreign Steamship Companies [wed26].
Jarig Bakker, 17 Jan 2005


Christmas Island Phosphate

[Christmas Island Phosphate houseflag and funnel] image by Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010

Christmas Island Phosphate. According to The Log of 8/1991 the blue flag with a the combined white "CI" logo belonged to the Christmas Island Phosphate Co. Ltd. which operated from 1897 to 1948 which makes it British. However US Navy 1961 ascribes it to the Christmas Island Phosphate Commission which acquired the assets of the company in 1948 when the Australian and New Zealand Governments took over the mining operations, which would make it Australian.
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010


Clarence & New England S.N. Co. Ltd.

[Clarence & New England S.N. Co. Ltd. houseflag and funnel] image by Ivan Sache, 11 December 2015

Clarence & New England S.N. Co. Ltd. Operated out of Sydney from around the mid 1860s until going broke around 1886 or 1888 (dates vary between two sources) having used a flag of diagonal halves from lower hoist to upper fly of blue over red and then a white band placed overall as a bend sinister.
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010


Clarence, Richmond & MacLeay Rivers Steam Navigation Co. Ltd.

[Clarence, Richmond & MacLeay Rivers Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. houseflag and funnel] image by Ivan Sache, 11 December 2015

Clarence, Richmond & MacLeay Rivers Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. Originated 1857 as the Grafton Steam Navigation Co. and then in 1860 following a capital increase it was renamed The Clarence & Richmond River Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. A further renaming in 1888 saw it become the Clarence, Richmond and Macleay Rivers Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. before in 1891 finally merging into the new company, North Coast Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. The flag, from The Log 8/1992, was quartered blue and white.
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010


Clutha Development Pty. Ltd.

[Clutha Development Pty. Ltd. houseflag and funnel] image by Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010

Clutha Development Pty. Ltd. An Australian subsidiary of the Daniel K. Ludwig group of USA which owned ships for the bauxite trade between 1969 and 1980 and having a white flag with two narrow black bands well apart and between them a black squarish "C" from The Log 11/1987.
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010


Coal & Allied Industries Ltd

[Coal & Allied Industries Ltd houseflag and funnel] image by Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010

Coal & Allied Industries Ltd. The result of the 1960 merger of J. & A. Brown & Abermain-Seaham Collieries Ltd. and Caledonian Collieries Pty. Ltd. though the former seemed to have kept their existence for some time afterwards and exactly when the C&A name was fully adopted is unclear. The old Brown flag was retained for quite a while as it is not until 1980 that a change is recorded to a yellow flag with a narrow green bend sinister surmounted by the logo of a white oval with a double black ring enclosing the black letters "C&A" from The Log 11/1987. They ceased as shipowners in 1994 after having operated through Coal & Allied Operations Pty. Ltd. from the early 1980s.
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010


Coal and Allied Shipping Co.

[Coal and Allied Shipping Co. flag] image by Eugene Ipavec, 14 Jun 2009

Another house flag shown on the State Library of Tasmania website is that of Coal and Allied Shipping Co.:

“Medium yellow (...) house flag with a diagonal green stripe running from the bottom left corner to the top right corner. In the centre of the flag over the green stripe is a white oval with a black outline, and the letters 'C & A.' 'C' and 'A' are in white lettering with a black outline and '&' is in black. Coal and Allied were owners of the Stephen Brown.”
The photo is clickable, larger version here.

The Logo looks very much like the C&A clothing outlets logo but the colours are different and there is no wavy border around the oval.

Traces are found on the ínet of the ships Camira and Conara working for, if not owned by, Coal & Allied during the nineteen eighties, but I could not find any traces of vessels now directly operated by or for the company. Stephen Brown mentioned above is now a stationary training ship of the Australian Maritime College (see their site).

Coal & Allied presents itself (from their website):

“After 150 years in the Hunter Valley region of New South Wales, Coal & Allied is one of the major coal producers in the region, employing more than 2000 people across our three operations - Mount Thorley Warkworth, Hunter Valley Operations and Bengalla. Coal & Allied is also currently undertaking the Mount Pleasant Project and the Lower Hunter Lands Project. (...) Coal & Allied is managed by Rio Tinto Coal Australia.”
Jan Mertens, 12 June 2009

This firm was founded after the merger of Brown & Abermain Seaham with Caledonian Collieries in 1960. Additional info: CareerOne page on Coal and Allied [no longer accessible]
Jan Mertens, 17 November 2009


Coast Steamships Pty. Ltd.

[Coast Steamships Pty. Ltd. houseflag and funnel] image by Ivan Sache, 11 December 2015

Coast Steamships Pty. Ltd. Formed Adelaide in 1913 it was taken over in 1915 by the Adelaide Steamship Co. Ltd. but continued operating as a subsidiary until 1966. The flag from The Log 8/1989 and the Stewart editions 1953, 1957 & 1963 show a diagonally quartered flag of blue and red bearing a white 6 pointed star at the fesse point.
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010


Craig, Mostyn & Co. Pty. Ltd.

[Craig, Mostyn & Co. Pty. Ltd. houseflag and funnel] image by Ivan Sache, 11 December 2015

Craig, Mostyn & Co. Pty. Ltd. A privately owned family trading company mainly involved in the export and import of foodstuffs since 1923 and still operating, they qualify by having a small shipping interest through operating prawn trawlers in the Gulf of Carpentaria from around 1963 although it is only in the 1970s that Lloyds show them. Although they seem to be still involved in the prawn industry I cannot find any reference to them still owning trawlers, but they may still and according to The Log of 5/1992 the flag is a horizontal biband of white bearing 6 blue stars over blue bearing the white letters "CMC".
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010


Croisdale International Pty. Ltd.

[Croisdale International Pty. Ltd. houseflag and funnel] [Croisdale International Pty. Ltd. houseflag and funnel]image by Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010

Croisdale International Pty. Ltd. of Sydney were involved in chartering ships for the Australian/Far East trade around the end of the 1960s using a blue flag with a yellow stylized "Ci" logo [see au~c304a.gif attached] and later operating through their subsidiary Croisdale Shipping Co. Pty. Ltd. who used a more orthodox blue flag with narrow yellow horizontal bands towards chief and base and between them the yellow letters "CSC" [see au~c530a.gif attached]. Sourced from The Log of 5/1987 it mentions the livery of the latter being spotted in 1977.
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2010


W. Crosby

[W. Crosby flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 20 Feb 2005

W. Crosby, Melbourne - red flag, blue cross; in center a white rectangle.
Source: Brown's Flags and Funnels of British and Foreign Steamship Companies [wed26].
Jarig Bakker, 20 Feb 2005

The flag is the same as that of William France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd. with whom they were associated.
Neale Rosanoski, 6 August 2005


CSR Limited/Colonial Sugar Refining Co. Ltd

Pre 1993 flag
[ CSR/Colonial Sugar Refining Co. houseflag before 1993 ] image by Phil Nelson, 6 Apr 2000

From Stewart and Styring's Flags, Funnels and Hull Colors, 1963 [ste63].
Phil Nelson, 6 April 2000

Post 1993 flag
[ CSR houseflag after 1993 ] image by Ivan Sache, 11 December 2015

The Colonial Sugar Refining Co. Ltd. is located in Sydney. No doubt formed with British money it is still an undoubted true blue Aussie company formed in 1887 but dating back to 1855. The original flag was as shown as blue with a red triangle issuant from hoist throughout. In 1973 the name was changed to CSR Limited but it was not until 1993 that a change in the flag was noted with the addition of the white letters "CSR". The company continues to operate (company website) but its shipping activities ceased in 2007 [being taken over by the CSL Group of Canada] but prior to that CSR Shipping was involved in the operation of 3 ships, 2 of which carried gypsum from Gypsum Resources Australia's South Australian operations to the eastern Australian states and raw sugar and calcite from Queensland to southern Australian states on return voyages.

The two ships involved in the gypsum/sugar cartage were managed by Austocean Pty Ltd and were under their colours, until in 2004 the "Kowulka" changed its livery to that of its registered owner, Gypsum Resources Australia, which was a CSR subsidiary. The third ship carried cement for Australian Cement Holdings (ACH) in which CSR held 50% but that later became merged as Cement Australia with the ship wearing that company's colours.
Neale Rosanoki, 16 November 2008


Flagship Charters

[Flagship Charters flag] image by Ivan Sache, 30 Nov 2006

Flagship Charters, founded in 1982 in Sydney, are specialized in luxury cruises in Sydney Harbour, the Whitsunday Islands and the Great Barrier Reef regions of Queensland. The company owns some 30 ships, suitable for 1-4 ("La Dolce Vita") to 80-475 ("Lady Rose") passengers.

The houseflag of Flagship Charters is diagonally divided blue-red with a white diamond, not touching the borders of the flag and charged with a black Italic F. It is shown on a photograph on the company website presenting the wedding packages proposed by the company.
Ivan Sache, 30 November 2006

Flagship Charters. They operate two websites and the second, http://flagshipcruises.com.au gives the official name as Flagship
Cruises Pty Ltd. and shows a slightly different version of the logo with the diamond touching the top and bottom edges though as the sides of the diamond do not properly align with the field division the chances are that it is all immaterial and there is no actual flag. Though if there is one I doubt that the letter is italic as the spine is angled in line with the image edges. The company arranges charters for the various vessel owners according to its site Ė just a booking centre in effect.
Neale Rosanoski, 8 March 2015