This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Subdivisions of Entre Ríos province (Argentina)

Last modified: 2015-05-06 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: concordia | sun (rising) | river | cross (two-colored) | cogwheel | spear | victoria | basavilbaso | bovril | herrera | federal | municipalidad de federal | general galarza | maría grande | villa mantero |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Subdivisions of Entre Ríos Province (About) : See also:

About Entre Ríos Province subdivisions

The Province of Entre Ríos is administratively divided in 17 departments. Inside these departments, there are a different number of municipalities. There are 78 municipalities in the province.
Francisco Gregoric, 24 Oct 2014

Concordia Department

Municipality of Concordia

[Concordia flag]
image by António Martins, 08 Dec 2004

The flag of Concordia is prescribed by Municipal Decree no. 29,803, adopted on 10 December 1997 and published on 18 December 1997. The flag was designed by Hugo Messer, winner of a public contest prescribed by Decree No. 29,626. The description of the flag provided by the designer is part of the Decree.

The flag was hoisted on 13 December 1997 in the places prescribed by Decree No. 29,660, together with the national and provincial flags.

The flag is horizontally divided green and red, the colours of the arms of Entre Ríos Province. The division of the flag is highlighted by a white and yellow stripe symbolizing a sword. The stripe starts near the hoist with a cross, recalling the early foundation by the Jesuits, and ends near the hoist with a "tacuara"* with red fastenings, as a reference to Federalism.

In the middle of the flag is placed a circular emblem including the following elements:

  • river Uruguay, as a geographical element;
  • a cog wheel, as a symbol of power and progress and also an implicit reference to the Salto Grande dam;
  • a palm-tree, as a typical regional element and also a reference to Concordia's historical coat of arms, lost in a blaze before the centenary of the town;
  • the horizon represented in a wavy pattern, referring to a typical geographical feature of the region (Cuchilla de Montiel**)
  • a rising sun, as a symbol of truth, majesty, liberty and benevolence.
*a "tacuara" is a rudimentary lance made of a knife blade tied to a stalk of sugarcane, used by gaucho militias during the Argentine war of independence.

**a "cuchilla" is a hill typical to Entre Ríos and Uruguay, also known in Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil) as "coxilha".

Dov Gutterman, 03 Mar 2002 and Ivan Sache, 14 Jul 2013

Other sites:

Municipality of La Criolla

The 2nd rank municipality of La Criolla (1,852 inhabitants, 1,307 in the town proper) is located in the Concordia Department, in the north- east of the Entre Ríos Province.

In 2005, the municipal administration of La Criolla launched a contest for a municipal flag. The winner of the contest, Lorena Panozzo, was proclaimed six years later, in July 2011. The flag eventually adopted is Panozzo's proposal, with some modifications.

The flag is horizontally divided light blue-white-light blue, like the Argentine national flag, with an orange fimbriation representing citriculture and a purple fimbriation recalling that La Criolla was proclaimed on 3 December 2008 by the Chamber of Representatives the National Capital of Blueberry Cultivation. In the middle of the flag is the Argentine sun charged with a handshake representing work, a shovel and a rake representing the first tools use in agriculture; forestry, citriculture and blueberry cultivation are represented in the background.

Ivan Sache, 07 Aug 2011

Other sites:

Federación Department

Municipality of Chajarí

[Municipality of Chajari flag]
image sent by Valentin Poposki, 12 Dec 2007

Chajarí is a city in the northeast of the province of Entre Ríos, Argentina. It has 30,655 inhabitants per the 2001 census, and it is the largest city in the Federación Department. It lies on Provincial Route 2, about 2 km east of the intersection with National Route 14 and west of the Salto Grande reservoir on the Uruguay River, 330 km from the provincial capital Paraná.

The settlement of Chajarí was populated after joint efforts of the provincial and national governments to encourage colonization. The original town, called Villa Libertad, was founded on 28 May 1872; colonists began arriving in 1876 from several regions of Italy. The municipal government was established in 1889, and in 1934 the town changed its name to match that of its railway station, Chajarí.

The flag of the municipality is shown and described in the municipal website.

Valentin Poposki, 12 Dec 2007

Other sites:

Federal Department

Municipality of Federal

[Municipality of Federal flag]
image by Ivan Sache, 14 Jul 2013

The municipality of Federal (14,478 inhabitants in 2001) is located in central northern Entre Ríos Province. Federal is the capital of the Federal Department (25,863 inh. in 2010, 5,060 sq. km), established on 15 September 1972. The department is made of the six districts of Francisco Ramírez, Diego López, Chañar, Banderas and Las Achiras and Sauce de Luna, of the municipalities of Federal, Conscripto Bernardi and Sauce de Luna, and of several other rural settlements.

Federal was first known as Las Yeguas (lit., The Mares), a settlement established by four horse breeders. On 7 September 1880, Colonel José Francisco Antelo formally founded a colony named Colonia Antelo, renamed Colonia Federal in 1884. Federal was recognized as an independent municipality by the Provincial government in 1888.

The flag of Federal, designed in 2005 by Natividad Cabrera, is horizontally divided celeste blue-white-celeste blue (recalling the national flag) with a red diagonal stripe placed in upper right corner (recalling the Entre Ríos flag and representing Federalism) and the municipal coat of arms placed along the hoist.

The coat of arms of Federal was adopted in 1973.

The upper part of the shield is charged with historical symbols. The cross recalls the Christian religion brought by the Jesuits. The "tacuara", a rudimentary lance made of a knife blade tied to a stalk of sugarcane, used by gaucho militias during the Argentine war of independence, recalls the involvement of the gauchos into the Federalist struggle. The spears with a pennant of the national colours symbolize the involvement of the Indians in the patriotical struggle; the pennants are the symbol of Federal sovereignty. The three stars represent the three original ranches.

The lower part of the shield is charged with elements of the landscape. The blue line represents brook Federal and its tributaries. The mares represent the feral equines found in the region. The bovine represents the main source of income for the region. THe wheat garb represents crops. The green hills represent El Montiel and the local "cuchillas" (hills typical in Entre Ríos and Uruguay, also known in Rio Grande do Sul [Brazil] as "coxilhas").

Ivan Sache, 14 Jul 2013

Other sites:

Gualeguay Department

Municipality of General Galarza

[Municipality of General Galarza flag]
image by Ivan Sache, 16 Jul 2013

The municipality of General Galarza (4,500 inhabitants in 2010) is located in southern Entre Ríos Province.

General Galarza was founded on 5 October 1912, as the village of San Guillermo, established by the San Guillermo Company Limited close to the Galarza railway station. The village was delimited by the land surveyor Nicolás Arriola on the territory of the Jacinta District, Gualeguay Department.

The municipality of Estación Galarza was established by Decree No. 24 of 8 January 1948.

The flag of General Galarza, designed by Luis and Giovanni Fracaroli, is prescribed by Decree no. 90 of 4 October 2012.

The flag shown on the background of the national colours a red stripe, of the federal colour of the Entre Ríos Province. In the middle of the flag is placed a yellow son charged with two green interlaced letters "G". The green colour recalls the rural origin of the municipality.

Ivan Sache, 16 Jul 2013

Other sites:

La Paz Department

Municipality of Bovril

[Bovril flag]
image by Ivan Sache, 06 Aug 2013

The municipality of Bovril is located in central northern Entre Ríos Province.

Bovril is named for the British company "Bovril Ltd.", known in Argentina as "Sociedad Argentina Bovril" or "Compañía Bovril". The company was founded in London in 1889 by the Scot John Lawson Johnston (1839-1900), who had registered in 1887 an extract of meat of his invention under the trademark "Bovril". Johnson named his product for the Latin word "bos, bovis", "a bovine", and for "vril", the liquid substance at the origin of the success of the underground humanoid race described by Edward Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873) in his once famous novel "Vril: The Power of the Coming Race" (1871). Extract of meat was invented by the German chemist Justus von Liebig (1803-1876) and his associate, the Belgian engineer Georg Christian Giebert. The "Kemmerich & Giebert" company, registered in Antwerp (Belgium), founded near Santa Elena, in the north of Entre Ríos Province, the first extract of meat factory in Argentina; in 1909, they sold the factory and the neighbouring ranches to Bovril Ltd. Bovril quickly grew up as a worldwide economical empire. The company had its headquarters in Buenos Aires and owned thousands hectares of land in several provinces. At his peak, Bovril owned in Argentina an area equal to half the area of England, where 1,500,000 were bred; in Entre Rios, the company managed in 1926 more than 130,000 ha. In 1970, Sir Ian Lawson Johnston (1905-1996), the founder's nephew, sold Bovril Ltd. to Cavenham Co. The company was purchased in 1973 by the Santa Fé-base SAFRA, which managed it until 1984. Acquired by the Entre Rios provincial government, Bovril was privatized in 1991.

The "Colony and village of Bovril" was officially established on 26 March 1913, when the governor of the Entre Ríos Province validated the draft of the new settlement designed by the land surveyor Antonio Tost and the civil engineer César Menegazzo. Originally known as "Km 49" (from its location on the railway), the village was renamed for the company that had ceded the plots of land required to build the new settlement. The railway station was inaugurated on 11 April 1914, the village counting then 2,350 inhabitants.

The second-rank municipality of Bovril was established by Provincial Decree No. 2,441 of 27 June 1951. Provincial Decree No. 2,375 of 20 November 1981 upgraded Bovril to a first-rank municipality.

Original source: Genaro Tomás O. Gaitz &Alcides Darío Coronel,"Despertando los Recuerdos. Un Recorrido por la Historia de la Ciudad de Bovril y Zonas Vecinas".

The flag of Bovril is horizontally divided yellow-dark green, with a white triangle placed along the hoist and an emblem, different from the municipal coat of arms, placed in the middle o the ooloured field (triangle excluded).

White represents purity, joy, liberty and light. The upper, yellow stripe refers to the sun, as a source of light, force and life.

The lower, green stripe alludes to the land, the fields, hope and the natural environment.

The emblem features in the middle a family entering the area [more precisely, a man riding a horse pulling a cart with the rest of the family, all black], recalling the history of the town, built by immigrants, under the sun and the sky present on the national flag. Below is a cultivated field, as the product of the men settled in the area, and one of the most important sources of income in the area. The oval shield is framed by wheat grains and maize cobs, two of the main crops the most representative of the region. Beneath the shield is a scroll made of the flags of Argentina (left) and of Entre Rios (right), as a symbol of confraternity in unity and support to the nation.

The flag was selected in a public contest organized in 2006 by the Directorate and the Commission of Arts and Culture. The jury met on 30 May 2006 to examine the 24 submitted proposals; the design proposed by Irma Liduvina Ortiz de Rueda was proclaimed the winning design by Act no. 70 of the Commission of Arts and Culture.

The flag was formally approved by Ordinance No. 593 of 30 May 2006, promulgated by Decree No. 117. The flag was officially unveiled on 20 June 2006.

Original source: Genaro Tomás O. Gaitz &Alcides Darío Coronel,"Despertando los Recuerdos. Un Recorrido por la Historia de la Ciudad de Bovril y Zonas Vecinas"

Ivan Sache, 06 Aug 2013

Other sites:

Nogoyá Department

Municipality of Nogoyá

[Municipality of Nogoya flag]
image by Ivan Sache, 18 Sep 2010

The town of Nogoyá (22,285 inhabitants in 2001) is the capital of the department of the same name, is located c. 100 km south-east of Paraná, the capital of the province of Entre Ríos.

The flag of Nogoyá, as shown graphically by "Victoria El Día", 1 October 2008, is horizontally divided red-blue-white-blue-green. The blue-white-green stripes are of equal height, forming the national flag, while the red and green stripes are of the same height and slightly higher than the "national flag". There is a white disk placed closed to the hoist, charged with a map outlined in black and with a black dot, a yellow device on the left of the map and three blue waves on its right.

The map represents the Department of Nogoyá and the dot the town of Nogoyá. The blue waves must represent river Nogoyá. I expect the yellow device to recall that Nogoyá is the milk capital of the province.

The flag of Nogoyá is prescribed by Municipal Decree No. 718, signed on 4 July 2005 and with effect the next day. The premable of the Decree states that the flag was designed by Nogoyá-born Germán Kainer, who win a public contest prescribed by Decree No. 585, 27 September 2005, setting up the adhoc Commission.

    Article 1. The municipal flag of the town of Nogoyá is created, to be used in all places and events where identification of the town is required.
    Article 2. The characteristics of the flag created by Article 1 are the following:

    • an horizontal red stripe in the uper part of the flag and an other stripe of the same size, green, in the lower part of the flag, symbolizing, the first, federalism, and the latter, agriculture and cattle-breeding;

    • the two stripes linked by another stripe of smaller size, with the colours and display of the national flag, separated from the two first stripes by another, narrow white stripe, symbolizing the national colors;

    • at hoist and centered, a white disk symbolizing purity and cattle breeding, charged with the outline of the department territory with the accurate location of the capital, a yellow half-gear representing agroindustrial production and three signs representing water.
The small image of the flag shown on the municipal website does not match the written description, since two white stripes are missing. The image contributed ti Wikipedia by "Guglelmo", 26 March 2008, seems to be more faithful to the description.

Ivan Sache, 02 Oct 2008 & 18 Sep 2010

Other sites:
  • Nogoyá flag at Wikipedia
    reported by Ivan Sache, 18 Sep 2010

Paraná Department

Municipality of María Grande

[Municipality of Maria Grande flag]
image by Ivan Sache, 01 Jan 2014

The municipality of María Grande (7,101 inhabitants in 2001) is located in the center-west of the Entre Ríos Province, 90 km from Paraná.

The flag of María Grande is horizontally divided blue-white-green. Near the hoist is placed a white disk with six white rays. Inside the disk are placed a black bird with a white wheat spike in the mouth and a red star, the whole inscribed in a black cog wheel.

The flag was selected in a public contest, devised by the Municipal Councillor Eliana Sacks and officially launched on 20 June 2013. The contest, open from 25 July to 30 August, yielded 23 submissions. The jury met on 2 September and the winning design was unveiled on 24 October.

The flag was designed by Manuel Martínez Campagna. The historian Gonzalo Abella explains that its colours and design are linked with the flag known as the Federal Banner of Andresito Artigas, a variant of the Federal Banner used today as the Entre Ríos flag. Abella added that green and blue were not considered as colours by the Guarani but as parts of life, green representing the "lower" environment and blue the "upper" environment.

Ivan Sache, 01 Jan 2014

Other sites:

Municipality of Viale

The municipality of Viale (8,939 inhabitants in 2001) is located 50 km of Paraná, the capital of the Entre Ríos Province.

Viale developed around the Vial railway station, named after the landlord Victorino Viale by Provincial Decree of 7 July 1906. The place was originally settled by Italian and Volga German colonists.

The public contest "Una bandera para mi ciudad" (A flag for my town) was prescribed on 16 May 2012 by Municipal Decree No. 529. Proposals can be submitted between 17 May and 18 June 2012. The winning design will be proclaimed on 23 June and the new flag will be inaugurated on 7 July during the Town's Day celebration.

Ivan Sache, 23 May 2012

Other sites:

Uruguay Department

Municipality of Basavilbaso

[Basavilbaso flag]
image by Ivan Sache, 08 Aug 2013

The municipality of Basavilbaso (9,005 inhabitants in 2001; 750 ha), aka Basso, was built around a railway station inaugurated on 30 June 1887 by the Entre Rios Central Railway company. Located on Km 222,445, the station was named Gobernador Basavilbaso by Law of 23 August 1887, as a tribute to Clemente Basavilbaso (1841-1907), Governor of Entre Ríos Province from 1887 to 1891. The station became an important rail junction, nicknamed "Capital of the Trains" ("Capital de los Trenes").

On 24 August 1891, Baron Maurice de Hirsch (1831-1896) founded in London the Jewish Colonization Association (JCA) to promote the emigration of Jews of Central Europe an Asia. In 1894, Jewish colonists established in Basavilbaso a colony named Lucienville, as a tribute to the Baron Hirsch's son, deceased in 1887. Nicknamed "Jewish Gauchos" ("Gauchos Judíos"), from the title of a book published in 1910 by Alberto Gerchunoff (1882-1950), the colonists yielded to Basavilbaso the title of "Cornerstone of Argentine Agricultural Cooperativism".

The flag of Basavilbaso is quartered white-celeste blue-red-green by a gray decentered saltire. Over the intersection of the saltire's arms is placed a yellow disk with a gray border.

The flag, designed by Maximiliano Barac, was adopted by the Municipal Council on 30 June 2007 after selection by a jury among 53 proposals designed by students. The official contest had been prescribed by Municipal Ordinance No. 94 of 29 August 2006.

The flag was inaugurated on 29 June 2007 during the celebration of the 120th anniversary of the establishment of the town.

Celeste blue recalls the sky, the vision of future, thought, as well as water, the source of life for mankind, referring here to the local project of spa.

Red recalls the soil, production, federalism, and the Entre Rios flag.

Green recalls the diversity of soil types, agricultural cooperativism, hope, and the natural environment.

White recalls immigration, the melting-pot, religion, the community and the ideal for the future of the town.

Gray recalls the railway. The crossing of the railway lines, the means of communication with the neighbouring town, divided the town in four boroughs.

Yellow recalls the sun, as well as the light of a locomotive and the town as the center of the four directions communicating with the neighbouring settlements.

Ivan Sache, 08 Aug 2013

Other sites:

Municipality of Herrera

[Herrera flag]
image by Ivan Sache, 11 Aug 2013

The municipality of Herrera (1,587 inhabitants in 2001) is located in eastern Entre Ríos Province.

Herrera is also known as Villa San Miguel. In 1868, Nicolás Herrera, from La Rioja Province, was granted a plot in the Gená District. His son Julián purchased in 1875, together with his brother-in-law, Juan Libaros, 7,850 ha, where they established two estates, Santa Vicente and Santa Celmira, respectively. Julián subsequently reunited the two domains. In 1891, Julián Herrera established on his own funds a railway station, which he named Nicolás Herrera, as a tribute to his father. The railway allowed him to transport the products of his estate to the port of Concepción del Uruguay. The village that developed near the railway was officially established, as Villa San Miguel, on 11 October 1912.

In 1922, the Herrera estate was rented by Italian colonists from Santa Fe, who re-established agriculture and cattle-breeding.

The flag of Herrera, selected on 19 June 2012 in a public contest, is diagonally divided red-green by a broad ascending yellow diagonal stripe charged with black railways. A yellow white spike is placed in canton.

The flag was inaugurated during the celebration of the 121st anniversary of the establishment of the town

The railways recall the origin of the town. The green field and the wheat spike recalls that the town mostly grown from agriculture. Red represents Argentine federalism, ambition and positivism.

Ivan Sache, 11 Aug 2013

Other sites:

Municipality of Villa Mantero

[Villa Mantero flag]
image by Ivan Sache, 07 Oct 2012

The municipality of Villa Mantero (1,526 inhabitants in 2001) is located in the Uruguay Department, 50 km of Concepción del Uruguay. Villa Mantero was founded on 29 September 1893 by the trader Juan Miguel Séro. The founder named the village for his father-in-law, Juan A. Mantero, a politician who struggled against the transfer of the provincial capital from Concepción del Uruguay to Paraná, to no avail.

The flag of Villa Mantero is divided green-yellow by a red bend. A blue horizontal stripe is added in the green part.

The flag was inaugurated on 29 September 2012 during the celebration of the 119th anniversary of the foundation of the town.

The flag was designed by Norma Martínez, who won the public contest organized by the municipal administration. The other participants to the contest were Ricardo Korell, Jonathan Heidenreich, Mónica Kroh, Miguel Continetti and Andrés Continetti. It appears that the decision was made in November 2007

Yellow represents the Christian faith, recalling that the first church in the region was built in Villa Mantero.
Green represents field work.
Red represents Federalism.
Blue represents brook Gená, whose water is used to irrigate the crops.

Ivan Sache, 07 Oct 2012

Other sites:

Victoria Department

Municipality of Victoria

[Victoria flag]
image by Ivan Sache, 02 Dec 2008

"Victoria al Día" announced on 20 September 2008 the launching of a competition for a municipal flag. Asimilar competition organized by the previous municipal administration was unsuccessful because of the low numbers of proposals.
Ivan Sache, 30 Sep 2008

According to "Victoria al Día", 23 November 2008, the competition jury has elected the winning design among 60 proposals.
The jury made the final choice among three proposals, two of them portraying Mount La Matanza, also used on the municipal coat of arms. The winning design is mostly olive green and the winner's names should be announced this week. "Victoria al Día" knows that the flag was designed jointly by a man named Wálter Auer and a woman.
Ivan Sache, 25 Nov 2008

In "Diario Victoria", 1 December 2008, Octavio Raffo presents the new municipal flag of Victoria, designed by Walter Auer, graphic designer, and Melina Albornoz, Profressor of Visual Arts. The flag is green with yellow symbols: a cross standing on a hillock, surmonting a tree, the whole surrounded by a nearly complete ring and four right angles in the corners of the flag.

The articles explains the flag as follows:

    "Green is the essential colour of natural environment, representing harmony, growth, exuberance, fertility and freshness. It holds a strong emotional relation with safety, suggesting stability and resistance and symbolizing growth and hope.

    Yellow evokes the sun light, synonym of honour, loyalty, intelligence and determination, and also of joy, happiness and energy. It represents enthusiasm, attraction, creativity, excitement, spirit and stimulus. It generates a feeling of prestige, wiseness, clarity of the mind and wealth.

    The cross, used as the central symbol, recalls the strong relation of Victoria with religion. The foundation date of the settlement is the first mass served in the Matanza shrine.

    The ombú*, with its thick roots, recalls our strong link to our customs and identity. Its dense foliage is a call to stop and enjoy under its shadow, a caracteristic of our town.

    The central curve recalls the local topography, whose hills and mounds form a unique and picturesque landscape.

    The rising sun, with its warmth, triggers the growth and development of the inhabitants of the town.

    The angles shown in the corners represent the cardinal points, symbolizing the evolution and expansion of the town."
* The ombú (_Phytolacca dioica_ L.), an evergreen herb native from the Pampas of South America, is one of the symbols of the Gaucho culture.
Ivan Sache, 02 Dec 2008

Other sites:

Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.