Last modified: 2010-09-18 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: general villegas | partido de general villegas | villegas | villa saboya | saboya | savoy | cross (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Partido de General Villegas is located at north-west of the province of Buenos Aires, at 523 Km from the city of La Plata, capital of the province. It is 7,233 Km² and it had a total population of 28,960 inhabitants in the last census (2001). Its main economical activities are agriculture and stockbreeding.
Francisco Gregoric, 10 Apr 2008
The village of Villa Saboya (c. 750 inhabitants) is located in the
north-east of the Province of Buenos Aires, close to the borders with
the Provinces of Santa Fe and Córdoba. Administratively, Villa Saboya belongs to the District of General Villegas.
In 1879, the Governement of Córdoba sold plots of land, disputed among the Provinces of Córdoba, Buenos Aires and Santa Fe, by auction. The first known owners of these plots are the brothers Natalio and Alfredo Cernadas. In 1902, Manuel Cadret purchased plots from the Agricultural Center "Vanguardia" to found a colony; he commissioned in November 1902 the civl engineer Gerónimo de la Serna to set up the "Villa Saboya" colony. Cadret named the colony after his family's motherland, Savoy. The first farms were sold to the newcolonists in 1903, without the approbation of the government; the purchase of farms #9 and #10 by Venancio Avila on 19 June 1903 is considered as the birth of the colony. The 100th anniversary of the colony was celebrated by more than 3,000 people on 19 June 2003. Cadret and his sons strongly influenced the design of the colony: the west-east streets were named after members of the House of Savoy and heroes of the Italian unification, while the south-north streets were named after Argentine celebrities.
The record of the Cadret family given on the village website is very approximative. It is said that Manuel Cadret (1850-1927) was the son of Francisco Cadret, from "Villanueva de Duras", region of Savoy, who stayed for a while in "Tolosa, España", where he married Josefa Landa and emigratedto Argentine. First, Toulouse is not in Spain but in the south-west of France, as is Villeneuve-de-Duras, located near Agen. Anyway, Cadret was a respected businessman who significantly contributed to the development of Buenos Aires; he purchased several farms and the famous "Casimiro-Gomez" distillery and was a founding member of the "Banco Hipotecario Nacional" and of the "Banco Hogar Obrero Argentino". There is a village named Cadret (c. 230 inh.), founded in 1917 as a milk farm by Manuel Cadret, in the municipality of Carlos Casares, Province of Buenos Aires.
On 10 August 2008, "RufinoWeb" reported the unveiling of the flag of Villa Saboya. The flag was proposed by Héctor Del Pópolo, a former resident of Villa Saboya, and confirmed by Ordinance No. 4566 and Decree No. 662 of the municipal and legislative authorities. The flag is red with a white cross, that is the traditional flag of Savoy, and the name of the village written in black capital letters on the horizontal white stripe.
Ivan Sache 13 Aug 2008
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.